After the success of the on-line MSS5x binary modification tool I created, I decided that a new challenge was in order. The challenge was to re-write the tool from scratch in .NET and allow the tool to be used off-line, whilst increasing the functionality of the tool greatly.
The result is a versatile Windows application that allows a user to make numerous changes without having to edit a single byte of hex.
So, what does the Binary Modification Tool do, I hear you ask. Well, the tool allows anyone to modify numerous parameters inside their E46 M3 or E39 M5 ECU without having to use expensive ‘pro tuning’ tools or in-depth knowledge of hex editing.
Feature currently implemented include the following:
– 155MPH Limiter removal
– SMG Style Shift lights on 6 Speed Manual cars (E46 Only)
– Sport button memory (remembers last setting after shutting off the vehicle).
– Dyno limit removal
– Rev limiter adjustment
– CSL SMG Shift / Rev matching + Inertia fix (E46 Only)
– Disable secondary air pump from running on cold start
– Enable burble and pop on over run / lift off (Childish but some love it)
– Disable fault code / check engine light for physical removal of the secondary air pump
– Disable fault codes / check engine light for cat deletes
– Disable fault codes for rear O2 removal
– EWS delete
– Comfort throttle map adjustment
– Sport throttle map adjustment
– Warm up light changes
– Transmission Swap (Manual to SMG and visa versa)
– SMG Final Drive Swap
– CSL Intake Flap Delete
– Cruise control enable (CSL / CSL Clone only)
– IAT Temp Sensor swap/re-scale
– MAP Sensor Swap/re-scale
– E39 M5 Servotronic Adjustment (Sport and Comfort)
– AlphaN enable/MAF Delete (E46 only)
– Disable cat protection (disables enrichment under high EGTs)
– Disable EGT Monitoring
– CSL Intake Flap opening control (CSL / CSL Clone only)
– Checksum correction
The software requires the .NET 4.0 framework, which can be downloaded from here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=17851
In order to write out your modifications a license is required if you wish to write out the changes.
A license request can be generated by loading the full or partial dump from your car (taken using BMWFlash) and then generating a license request. The key will allow you to modify your binary as many times as you like. Please ensure you have the correct binary loaded before generating the request to avoid receiving a license for the wrong version.
Download the latest release from here!
A complete ‘How To’ guide can be found here.